Thursday, November 17, 2011

Supporting the Family Business

I have now done my part to support the family business. Yesterday, I finally got a pair of glasses.
I say finally because I have been having some problems with double vision for a little while. I used to have glasses when I was younger, so back in January, I got an appointment with Dr. Hoffman, the eye doctor I used to go to. He said that it was due to a weaker eye muscle in my right eye, and suggested eye muscle surgery. I would be ok with that option (after doing some more research about it) because it would most likely be a more permanent fix, whereas glasses would just be a temporary fix, and would only work when I'm wearing them (which should be all the time unless I'm sleeping, and I don't need to see then anyway). He also suggested that I meet with the Neurosurgeon that I used to see, just to make sure there isn't anything new that either of them need to know about (If you don't know why I used to see a neurosurgeon, just ask me).
Well, I kind of dragged my feet a little on that, and I took a few months to call and schedule an appointment with Dr. Walker. I finally got in to see him at the end of May, and he requested an MRI to be sure that nothing was going on in my head that shouldn't be. I went back a week later for that, he got the results right away, and gave me a clean bill of health (again).
I decided that I wanted a second opinion, so after dragging my feet* again, I went in October to see a family friend, Dr. Christiansen. He said surgery is one option, but not the only option. He checked my eyes, and then asked if we could schedule another appointment a week or so later to give him a chance to discuss options with some of his colleagues. I met with him the next Wednesday, and exited his office with a prescription in hand for glasses with prism lenses, which should help to strengthen the weak muscles in my right eye.
We then set off in search of a pair of frames that I liked. We found a pair that I liked, and then dropped them off at the lab with my prescription on Friday. Then yesterday, I picked up my glasses (and got them fitted correctly). Michael swung by the lab and picked up the pair of sunglasses that I had gotten as well, and now I have officially joined the club of "four-eyes."
So, I obviously opted for the glasses. They were cheaper, and it may end up like it did last time I had glasses. In 10 years, I may not need them again (although I'm not holding my breath).

*I didn't necessarily drag my feet. I just didn't remember to call and schedule an appointment until after the office was closed. My memory is SO not what it used to be.

1 comment: